Another year has gone by and I still haven’t gone to SDCC :'(..I need a job stat..
Anyways, I apologize for the lack of bookish posts lately. This isn’t totally a book blog but I know I haven’t been posting a lot about books lately. Part of the reason is because I’m in the middle of reading two longass books that require a lot of time and attention. Those books are A History of Seven Killings by Marlon James which won the Man Booker Prize last year and Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray.
They are both more than 600 pages so it’s gonna take me some time to read. I’m also almost finished reading Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose which is about exactly what the title says and just starting a romance called Nuts by Alice Clayton, both of which I’m enjoying a lot.
So that’s how my reading is going so onto the trailers. As you may or may not know, San Diego Comic Con took place this week and it’s been trailer heaven in here. I thought I’d share my thoughts on some of the biggest trailers. I’m forewarning you though, I have seen most of these trailers before this post. I’m just reacting to them again because a lot of them were that good..so without further ado..
Sherlock Season 4 Teaser
- For the record, I don’t like that they chose the plot twist of Moriarity not being dead.
- WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAIR JAWN WATSON; you’re not part of the mafia
- hmm, cars and guns; I didn’t know this was fast and furious 8
- “Get out of my house, you reptile” DAMN MRS HUDSON LOL
It seems like Sherlock Season 4 is going to steer away from more of the mystery focus and move more into the thriller territory. Season 3 definitely was not as good as Seasons 1 and 2 so I guess I’ll tune in and see if season 4 can be better.
Star Trek Discovery TV Teaser
- That’s impressive CGI for a TV show
- I was hoping to get a look at some of the people but ok..
- Wow coming out Jan 2017, that’s closer than I thought
- I hate teasers; they don’t show anything
Bottom line: I love Star Trek so I’ll watch it.
The Defenders Teaser
- ok some pieces of paper..
- Ok where is Jessica Jones??? Luke Cage??
- Why do I even bother watching teasers.
Honestly I’m going to watch this for Jessica Jones :3
Doctor Strange Teaser Trailer
- So another white guy superhero movie; we definitely don’t have enough of that..
- Damn, Benedict Cumberbatch looking good in a suit..
- This looks a lot like inception
- I AM DEATH AND PAIN
- BUILDINGS ARE FALLING AND RESHAPING IS THIS INCEPTION 2??
- I like Rachel McAdams
- LOL omg that ending!!! “What is this, my monitor?” “The WiFi password” “We’re not savages”
It looks interesting enough and more psychologically based than other superhero movies..I’ll probably watch it..
- creepy atmosphere
- Creepy demon trying to take over her daughter, that’s from the book
- wow the daughter is older than in the book..
- wow a ladder randomly falling down, sooo scary
From what I’ve seen, they’re definitely going to change a loooottt of things from the book. Honestly, right now, it looks like a thriller with horror elements than straight up horror. I hope it doesn’t rely on the pervertedness (that’s not a word is it) of its premise to shock viewers (American Horror Story) and is more of a classic horror remake.
- I honestly don’t know what’s happening
- the main char has special powers?
- his wife just died apparently
- Ok, he’s hitting a hammer on a cow..rude
- someone just punched a guy and now there’s a lot of blood coming from his mouth
Ok so that just happened. You can probably tell I haven’t read the book. And to be honest, I don’t know if I am. I’m not sure if Neil Gaiman is an author for me. I liked his books, Neverwhere and Stardust, but I didn’t love them. It looks there’s going to be a bit of magical realism thrown in because it’s Neil Gaiman but I don’t know what to think of it.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Trailer 2
- ooh the beginning music sounds like the Harry Potter theme song
- oooh, new characters although they are mostly white guys, oh and one black lady
- Man, Eddie Redmayne is such a cutie even with his hair like that
- LOL “why do I have to wear this” “because your skull is susceptible to breakage under immense force ” HIS EXPRESSION AFTER..hilarious
- ooh an enormous white bird; I feel like the creatures in here are going to be stunning
- ooo, alternate version of HP theme song again
- “I wanna be a wizard” Truer words were never spoken
I’m actually excited for this movie. I think the trailers do a good job with portraying what you’re gonna see when you watch it. An action-packed, fun movie that expands on the HP universe.
- Um confession time: I’ve watch this trailer more than 5 times already and I’m not sorry
- the beginning is so Little Mermaid-esque
- “You’re a man” “Yeah, do I not look like one?” LOL
- You probably crashed the Enterprise and landed here didn’t you Kirk?
- Epic music
- how do people not see the sword on the back of her dress???
- “I was brought to life by Zeus” pause “Oh, that’s neat” LOL, his lines are gold
- Badass Amazons, hey this movie might actually pass the Bechdel test???what??? Is this 2016???
- Omigoodness, I think I’d die if Chris Pine looked at me like that; his eyes are so beautiful
- omggg, her costume!!!!!!! HER SHIELD
- damn, that throw. You go, girl
- that whip
- damn, Gal Gadot looks sooo good, like look at her muscles, that stance
- what a badass
- omggg, those fight scenes…There’s a lot of slow motion
- I like her theme song
- “I’m Etta Candy, I’m Steve Trevor’s secretary” “What is a secretary?” “I go where he tells me to go and do what he tells me to do.” “Well, where I’m from, that’s called slavery” “Oh, I like her, I really do” “Fantastic, after you, ladies” LOL
I admit my knowledge of Wonder Woman is sparse at best but I’m mostly so excited because this is the first female-led superhero blockbuster film of this caliber made. And it’s about time. Like this means a lot just as when Katniss made her debut on the big screen. We so rarely see girls as leads for blockbuster action movies (you know, the ones that everyone sees and the ones that makes lots of money). I’m just so excited and I know trailers don’t mean shit but this one looks good so I have hope. I also hope this will set a trend for more female-led superhero movies. So the movie seems to be romantic and epic like the historic epic films but have the grittiness of Batman: The Dark Knight. It also reminds me a little of Captain America because of the historical aspects(if I recall they both take place during WWII). It also has humor which is always appreciated, like all the lines from Steve Trevor are so funny. And I’m so interested to see a male love interest as the secondary character in a superhero movie and seeing the dynamics. He is going to be the Pepper Potts, the Peggy Carter, the Gwen Stacy, the Mary Jane, the Carol Ferris, the Jane and countless other female love interests that have graced our movie screens in the past decade. And as much as I love them, I was always very disappointed in their lack of a significant role in the movies; more often than not being reduced to just being a love interest. I’m not saying that I want Steve Trevor to be reduced to just a love interest but I’m really interested in seeing the dynamics between a woman superhero and an average male love interest instead of the man superhero and the average female love interest because we rarely ever, ever have that. I’m so excited.
What upcoming movies are you excited to see? Have you seen any of these trailers? I’ve also seen the trailers for Justice League, Suicide Squad, and Kong: Skull Island if you want to discuss those! Let me know what you think =)