For some reason this summer, I’ve been obsessed with canvas art especially ones that have quotes on it. So I decided to do a DIY with a book quote because I needed more things to decorate my bookshelf. It doesn’t take that long and it was so fun. Let’s get started!
Materials you will need:
- A canvas (any size-I personally used a 6″ by 6″)
- Some alphabet stickers (you can also just print out some letters with the font you want and cut them out)
- Some acrylic paint
- A paintbrush (Foam paintbrush preferable)
- Optional: Another small, thin paintbrush to clean up
- So first, pick a quote that you want to display. Make sure it’s not too short or too long depending on the canvas you’re using. Account for the spacing between letters and lines. I chose, “My soul see its equal in you.” which is a quote from the wonderful The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh.
- Start laying out the letters onto your canvas. Again, be sure to account for the spacing between letters and lines. If you’re cutting them out, make sure to cut out the space in between the “o’s” and letters with spaces between them.
3. Once you are satisfied with your layout, you can start painting! Try to pick a color that contrasts your canvas so your quote will standout. Remember, after being painted, your letters will be the color of your blank canvas and the rest will be the color of the paint. Be gentle when you’re painting because sometimes the letters will come out (like mine did) and it will mess up the letters.
4. Hopefully, it should look something like this now:
5. Wait for the paint to be completely dried. Now, my favorite part: peeling off the letters. It kind of has the same weird gratification I get when I’m peeling dried glue from my finger.
After you’ve done that, it should look something like this now:
Afterwards, I just used a small paintbrush to paint in the letters that I made mistakes with.
And this is how it looks on my bookshelf:
Overall, I’m pretty satisfied with how it came out. If I were less lazy, I’d probably use a different font because I sometimes feel like that font doesn’t fit with the quote but other than that, I really like it and it’s been sitting on my shelf keeping my books company =) Hope you enjoyed this DIY and I will be back with my booktubeathon wrap up!